The Past, Present and Future of Health and Safety.
April 2, 2015
In 1999 we began building the Airsweb business, in a world of health and safety that is very different to the world we see today. The landscape of health and safety in the workplace has changed dramatically over the last 15 years. With people’s attitudes and laws changing.
Below we’ve outlined the basics for your quick and easy consumption.
A look back
In 1974 the Health and Safety Commission first met and created the Health and Safety at Work Act, just 40 years ago. This paved the way for a brighter, more sustainable future of health and safety.
In 1999 Airsweb was founded and began creating software to aid the improvements in health and safety through EHS management reporting software.
2000 saw the Revitalising Health and Safety strategy launched. This marked the start of a 10 year campaign to improve Britain’s health and safety.
In the last 15 years over 19 major regulations and acts have been passed, aimed at improving the landscape of many areas of work in the UK
‘One death is too many’ was brought out in 2009. A report to promote positive duties on directors to reduce fatalities.
In 2011 in the ‘Good Health and Safety, Good For Everyone’ report the government plans to reform Health and safety and develop sustainable solutions for the future.
What’s happening now?
- In the last 15 years fatalities have declined by almost half.
- The total amount of self-reported illnesses has dropped from 5million to 2million!
- Musculoskeletal disorders have dropped from over 2 million to under 500,000.
- Stress and related conditions have reduced massively from over 1.5million to under 150,000.
- Businesses are being more responsible, improving the work environment and therefore the employee’s wellbeing.
- Businesses have seen savings of up to £200,000 a year from reduced absences and improved productivity.
“Responsible organisations must protect their people, assets and must protect the environment.”
Mark Swithenbank, MD, Airsweb
A glance into the future
In order to sustain this positive new landscape we’re looking at the trends for the future.
- Innovative methods of training and adapting to improved workplaces.
- Monitoring of work-related stress, risk assessments and actions.
- Exposure and prevention of risks to musculoskeletal disorders.
- Improved acoustic comfort in working environments.
- Improvements to the culture and opinions of health and safety.
- Promoting brain fitness and cognitive performance at work.
- Proactive use of new technology for environmental and people management.
- An increased need for sustainability reporting such as airsweb® Environmental Software Solution – a flexible solution for sustainable success. Download our FREE INFOGRAPHIC for more information on this.
‘Your Software Partner in QHSE’
Through the better reporting of health and safety incidents, compliance, audit and sustainable solutions Airsweb™ has seen great results for our clients over the last 15 years. We have adapted as the industry has changed throughout the years and constantly use our experience and knowledge to predict where the industry is going and how we can continually benefit our clients.
Call Airsweb today on 0151 289 6811 to find out what your business’ future could hold or email email@example.com